What is it?
Wordle is a tool that allows user to create word clouds from a source of words. The software automatically
removes common English words (is, the, and, it..) and presents the words in colourful cloud formations. The more that a
word appears in a source, the larger the word is in the cloud. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes.
What can it be used for in the classroom?
- Great for showcasing word usage in a speech, poem, story, text, etc.
- Great for students to copy and paste words from their own paper to summarise their work.
- Great for creating personality clouds of your students and for showcasing their opinions on certain topics.
- Put your lesson plan into a word cloud to create a word cloud of what you will be learning about. This could also be part of your entire course outline used at the beginning of a course.
- Put vocabulary words into a word cloud.
- Have students create word clouds that generate understanding of a concept, standards or vocabulary word.
To create a wordle:
1. Go to wordle.net
2. Click create your own
Hints: The more often a word is entered, the larger it will appear.
4. Select go
5. Wordle is generated. Characteristics can be changed by using the toolbar located at the top of the page:
- Colour refers to the colour scheme. Wordles can be white or black backgrounds.
- Layout is the appearance/shape of the wordle – mostly vertical, mostly horizontal, half and half, etc.
- Font is the style of the text. Language – wordles can be anything from English to Croatian
Examples of completed Wordles:
Please find attached a very good and detailed step by step tutorial on how to use Wordle: